Thursday 9 July 2009

shiny happy people


I am bald and shiny!! I figured that since I will hopefully never have the chance to completely shave my head again, I might as well do it now... so I made one of my friends, Will, shave my head down to a number zero (from the number 2 above), then later Georgina and Janet covered my noggin in shaving foam and scraped all the bristles off and I was at last SHINY!! I can feel the wind on my scalp at last - v. odd sensation, though useful for keeping cool when running.


I'm now back in Nottingham and getting rather stressed trying to get in contact with Nottingham radiologists, so that my radiotherapy will start soon and be finished in time for the Devon family holiday that I have been looking forward to since about Christmas. This is the first time in my entire cancer experience that I've been this frustrated and it is AWFUL. Yesterday I divided the entire day between pacing up and down like a caged lion waiting for e-mails from various secretaries, and bursting into tears of frustration as visions of a cancer-ravaged summer swam before my eyes. Tim found all this rather alarming, poor boy, but fortunately managed to cheer me up and keep me busy making sushi. (You can tell this cooking obsession is genetic can't you??


The situation we have here is your classic "out of the frying pan, into the fire" one. Last week in Newcastle I was told that I could start radiotherapy soon and be finished by the beginning of August. My brain did not process this properly as I was too worried about being alone in Newcastle, so I started pushing for the transfer to Nottingham and have thus managed to delay the radiotherapy due to all the red-tape this necessitates. And now my Newcastle radiologist has gone on holiday so that door has banged shut... The situation is entirely of my own devising and this is more annoying than anything else put together. RARRRRRRRRR.

Anyway I have an appointment next week to see a radiologist, which isn't soon enough for my liking. Will go with many more questions to ask and beg them to hurry it up as fast as humanly possible. If this doesn't work I may use my loyal army of blog followers - um 17 people - to stage a sit-in in City Hospital until something happens.

I think this would all feel a little more useful if I actually still had cancer. Not that I still want to have cancer by any means, but I would have less difficulty getting used to the idea of radiotherapy if I knew I still had some stubborn little cancer cells to blast into oblivion. As it is, I'm trying to get my head round the idea of voluntarily irradiating my now apparently healthy neck. Eeesh. IF THAT EVER EVEN HAPPENS BEFORE NEXT CENTURY.

Sorry.... swear am normally happier than this.... think may go and get a gin and tonic. Watch this space for radiological developments.

2 comments:

  1. Your head feels nice!
    Isobel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw bless you my little darling!
    I can appreciate how much you must feel stressed and frustrated, it's a horrible feeling and no one should feel that way! (or at least not nice people lol! )
    oooo, i didn't get a chance to actually see your shining and shimmering head! damn!
    hope i'll have the opportunity soon!
    oh and btw tell tim that sushi looked AMAZING!!! i have just had dinner but i could easily eat that whole plate! yummmmyyyyyy!
    ehehe
    ;)
    love you
    Gaita

    ReplyDelete